75 years ago

  • January 1949
  • The 170 V ambulance is succeeded by a version with a more contemporary and spacious body. The new model receives its body at the Lueg coachworks in Bochum, which simultaneously operates as a sales representation for Daimler-Benz AG.
nix
nix
  • March 1949
  • Maschinenfabrik Gebr. Boehringer in Göppingen delivers the first series-produced Unimog vehicles. Under the model series designation 70200 a total of six hundred units are produced at the plant by 1951.
nix
  • 23 April 1949
  • Karl Wilfert, head of body development at the Sindelfingen plant, files a patent application for a safety door lock.
nix
  • 13 May 1949
  • Chairman of the Board of Management Dr Wilhelm Haspel hands over the last Ford repaired in Untertürkheim to the US Army. The "Ford Sedan Repair Line" was then transferred to the Esslingen repair facility for capacity reasons.
nix
  • 20 - 30 May 1949
  • The 170 S and 170 D (W 136 series), the first Mercedes-Benz passenger car models to be developed since the end of the war, make their debuts at the Technical Export Fair in Hanover. Compared with the 170 V, the 170 S has a more spacious body and a standard-fit ventilation system that can be combined with a heater as an optional extra. It is also available as a Convertible B and highly luxurious Convertible A variant. The 170 D is based on the 170 V and is the first post-war diesel car. Further new products are the L 3250 truck and O 3250 bus, which herald a new era in commercial vehicle manufacture at Daimler-Benz.
nix
  • 10 June 1949
  • The last L 701 rolls off the assembly line at the Mannheim plant. A total of 10,300 units of this licensed version of the Opel "Blitz” have been produced since June 1945.
nix
  • 15 June 1949
  • The first production unit of the OM 312 engine is completed at the Mannheim factory. The 90 hp / 66 kW six-cylinder diesel is the first commercial vehicle engine developed after the war and the first version of the successful OM 300 engine family.
nix
  • 4 October 1949
  • An import company for Daimler-Benz products is set up in Zurich, with Daimler-Benz AG as a shareholder.
nix
nix
  • 24 December 1949
  • The finishing touches are put to the first Mercedes-Benz bus to come out of post-war production at the Mannheim plant. The vehicle – an O 3500 model – is the first bus produced in Mannheim after relocation of part of the Sindelfingen facility's bus production to Mannheim. Presented as an O 3250 in May, it is launched onto the market in January 1950 under the new designation, as is the truck it is based on.
nix
  • 31 December 1949
  • After the relaxation of export restrictions for industry in Bizone and the French zone, export sales of Daimler-Benz AG reach DM 6.1 million or 1.8 % of total sales.
nix
Loading