Shortly after the 2nd World War, the Unimog was developed by former Daimler-Benz engineers. The first prototypes were produced by Erhard & Söhne in Schwäbisch Gmünd. The vehicle was officially presented to the public in August 1948. Series production began in 1949, at the machine tool factory of the Boehringer brothers in Göppingen. A total of 600 vehicles were produced here up to 1951. The model series was given the designation 70200 in accordance with the cost centre, and these were also the first digits of the chassis number. Equipment variants were given the suffix a,b,c.... In May 1951 Daimler-Benz AG took over the Unimog department in its entirety, and from June 1951 the first examples of the almost unchanged 2010 series left the production line at the Gaggenau plant.